Tuesday, May 15, 2007

The All-Weekend Team

I could have made this a bit easier and just declared Penn State's offense, Illinois' starters and Michigan State's bullpen the All-Weekend Team and been done with it. However, I chose to stick to the more traditional selection process (whatever in the world that is). Those three programs are going to be well represented nonetheless.

Catcher - Eric Fryer, Ohio State (7/16, 5 R, 6 RBI, 2B, 2 BB)
Firstbase - Ryne White, Purdue (9/16, 7 R, 9 RBI, 3 2B, 2 HR, 2 SB, 2 BB)
Secondbase - Steve Gerstenberger, Michigan State (9/19, 5 R, 3 RBI, 3 2B, 2 SB)
Secondbase - Matt Cavagnaro, Penn State (7/20, 3 R, 5 RBI, 2B, HR)
Shortstop - Scott Gaffney, Penn State (6/17, 3 R, 5 RBI, 2 2B, HR, 2 BB)
Shortstop - Jason Christian, Michigan (4/15, 7 R, 5 RBI, 2 2B, 2 HR, SB)
Thirdbase - Mike Deese, Penn State (7/15, 3 R, 4 RBI, 2B, 3B)
Outfield - Rick Marlin, Penn State (7/18, 4 R, 3 RBI, HR)
Outfield - Brian Ernst, Penn State (8/15, 6 R, 3 RBI, 2B)
Outfield - Travis Sweet, Iowa (4/13, 5 R, 5 RBI, 3 2B, 3 BB, SB)
Designated Hitter - Sean Walker, Michigan State (6/14, 5 R, 7 RBI, HR, 2 BB)

Bench - Cory Wine, Penn State (6/17, 4 R, 3 RBI, 2B, 3B, BB)
Bench - Antonio Mule, Northwestern (6/13, 2 R, 4 RBI, 2 2B, 2 3B, 4 BB)
Bench - Nate Recknagel, Michigan (5/16, 3 R, 5 RBI, 2B, 3B, HR, BB)
Bench - Justin Miller, Ohio State (7/14, 3 R, 4 RBI)

Starter - Jake Hale, Ohio State (7.0 IP, 6 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 6 K's in CG win.)
Starter - J.B. Shuck, Ohio State (6.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 5 BB, 4 K's in win.)
Starter - Zach Putnam, Michigan (6.0 IP, 8 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 8 K's in win.)
Starter - Matt Bischoff, Purdue (7.0 IP, 7 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 1 BB, 6 K's in win.)
Starter - Mike Stankiewicz, Illinois (7.0 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 K's in win.)
Starter - Scott Shaw, Illinois (6.0 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 2 K's in win.)
Relief - Jake Toohey, Illinois (2 APP, 2.1 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K's in two saves.)
Relief - Drew O'Neil, Penn State (2 APP, 5.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 3 K's in win and save.)
Relief - Mike Monterey, Michigan State (2 APP, 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 2 K's in two saves.)

Alright, I did take two middle infielders. I just couldn't leave off Penn State's Cavagnaro and Gaffney. The Nittany Lions tablesetters were in the middle of nearly everything this weekend in Ann Arbor. They probably merited a bit of favor as I saw them in person, but nobody claimed this was unbiased.

Purdue's White is moving up the Player of the Year charts. It's time to start the campaign to get Michigan's Christian some All-America honors. (I guess your leaving that to me, huh?)

I haven't seen every closer in the Big Ten this year, but if anyone of them is better than O'Neil of Penn State I'd be shocked. O'Neil was filthy in Ann Arbor. Christian was about the only guy to make solid contact off O'Neil. The rest of a potent Michigan lineup didn't just swing and miss, they missed badly.

Here's where I turn it over to you. If I missed someone or made an error in addition (something I've grown rather good at), please drop me a line and tell me what I did wrong.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Michigans Christian has had a great year I cannot argue with that, but All-American honors? He isnt even first team All Big Ten if you ask me. The clear cut winner there has to be Jason White of Iowa, his numbers are better than Christians in almost every category both offensively and defensively. At the end of last weekend Whites numbers were better in Average, Runs, Triples, HR, RBI, TB, SLG%, BB, HBP, OBP%, OPS and defensively in Putouts, Assists, fewer errors and a better FLD%. They were both 13-18 on SB attempts and Christian was better than White in Hits, Doubles and Strike Outs. That seems like a no brainer to me. Either way I think the two of them are clearly the two best in the conference, but I give the nod to White

Brian said...

Christian got special notice here because I mentioned him in the post. His emergence has been a major reason why Michigan sits atop the standings.

However, just because I mentioned Christian and All-America in the same breath doesn't mean I don't think Jason White deserves the same thing.

White is having a spectacular season, you've done an admirable job of pointing that out, and I believe he most certainly merits All-America consideration, as well.

I'll be more than happy to lead the Jason White for All-America committee, as well. (I'd also be happy to play second fiddle in that campaign to you.)

For that matter, White's teammates Travis Sweet and Dusty Napoleon deserve some honorable mention on somebody's All-America team, too.

Off the top of my head, Mike Mee, Lars Davis, Josh Oslin, Drew O'Neil, Ryne White and Zach Putnam should be in the initial All-America conversation, too.

Thanks for calling me out on Jason White and for stopping in.