Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Mattingly Going To UT

Preston Mattingly, son of ex-New York Yankee star, Don, has committed to attend Tennessee. He will play baseball for the Volunteers next season. This is bad on two accounts.

First, Mattingly attends high school in Indiana. It's disappointing to see another youngster in Big Ten country jump ship and head off to a "southern school". I don't blame the younger Mattingly for choosing a more baseball friendly institution, but a player of his pedigree would have helped the Big Ten's image and quality of play.

The second bad thing about this is that elder Mattingly isn't even a star from my childhood. He's in the group that immediately followed that. Basically, this means a guy who played pro ball when I was a very young adult now has a son in college baseball. What I am trying to say is that I am really, really getting old.

No comments: