Monday, March 07, 2005

OPS Leaders

I'm no stat geek. Really. I'm not. However, one of the Bill James-era stats I do like is OPS-on base plus slugging percentage. As the number of games increased, I decided it was time to see how some of the Big Ten hitters' OPS numbers looked like. This is by no means definitive information, as I only reviewed some of the league's other stat leaders, but here is what I found.

Penn State's Matt Lewis, who leads the conference in batting average, on base percentage and slugging percentage, has an OPS of 1.478. Which, surprise, surprise, leads the Big Ten. Neal Gorka of Purdue is in second at 1.315. Pat McMahon, Northwestern's catcher, comes in third at 1.287. Ryan Parker of Indiana has an OPS of 1.272, good for fourth in the Big Ten. Joe Blackburn, Lewis' Nittany Lion teammate, comes in fifth at 1.272.

Again, I wouldn't exactly be quoting this data all around town. I didn't run down every single player's numbers and I studied journalism and history, not any form of math, in college. So, there's a decent chance I messed something up. However, I do find this data interesting, so I figured I would share it with the both of you.

No comments: