Monday, December 12, 2005

OPS: '05 And '06

As some of you might be aware, during the season I try to tabulate OPS numbers for the Big Ten. I attempt to give you a list of those players managing to stay above 1.000. As my blogging declined as the season progressed, I never got a final look at the leaders. However, I've recently had the chance to glance through the 2005 stats and here's what I've come up with.

According to my math, and please feel free to correct me, five Big Ten hitters finished above 1.000 in OPS this past season. Drew Davidson of Illinois was first at 1.041. Pat McMahon, Northwestern's catcher, came in second at 1.028. Steve Caravati of Ohio State, who missed a good portion of the campaign, jumped all the way up to third at 1.026. After the Buckeye star was Dusty Bensko, another Illini member, at 1.023. Yet another member of Illinois' baseball squad rounded out the top five. Catcher Chris Robinson came in at 1.011. (Note to my Detroit readers: Robinson is in the Tigers system now.)

I've also begun a very cursory search of returning leaders. In checking on the Wallace Award nominees out of the Big Ten, McMahon has the highest OPS mark. Jeff Kunkel, Michigan's backstop, would be second at .978. Purdue's Mitch Hilligoss had a very good .964 OPS in '05. Matt Lewis, Penn State, was above 1.000 for much of last year, but finished at .907. Finally, Michigan State's Troy Krider had an .882 OPS.

No comments: